ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

Paradosis
Bishop Jerome Shaw is on record as saying that HTM's entering under the Russian Synod was a terrible thing, so why did they choose him to write to the monks? Also the tone is rather bitter. Why bother writing at all?

Dear HOMB,

I can only take a guess at writing to the above e-mail address, since I do not know
who will be reading this message.

At any rate, I am Bishop Jerome of Manhattan, of ROCOR.

I was known as Fr. John R. Shaw back in the days when HOCNA/HOMB was part
of ROCOR, so I believe any HOCNA members who go back that far, would remember
that name.

The past two days I had heard that there have been some unexpected developments
in HOCNA: that last Sunday, Fr. Isaac at the behest of Fr. Panteleimon, made the
announcement that all the charges against Fr. Panteleimon, were true, after all -- and
that Fr. Panteleimon, who by now must be in his early 80's, has been diagnosed with
pancreatic cancer and given 3 months to live, is being cared for by the nuns of a convent
in Toronto (I have no idea how to contact that convent, or even what its name might be);
and that other key developments have taken place, or are taking place.

Those who "go back that far", to when those charges against Fr. Panteleimon were
brought before the Synod in 1986, also know that all the clergy and communities that went
into the makeup of HOCNA, had been in ROCOR till the charges were brought.

So, while it is encouraging to learn that finally, after more than a quarter of a century,
the issue of the charges has finally been resolved through Fr. Panteleimon's near-deathbed
confession, there still remains the other side of those events: the accusations that were
brought against ROCOR to justify the departure of the Panteleimonites.

If Fr. Panteleimon (and with him, those who have followed him) could now admit that those
charges of "ecumenism" were *not* true -- that would be a big step towards healing, not
just for themselves, but for the families and parishes in ROCOR that the split of 1986 caused.
In particular, I am thinking of the ROCOR parish in Albany NY, where I am planning to be
next Sunday (Sept. 10/23) for the celebration, not just of the parish feast, but of the retirement
of Fr. Vsevolod Drobot who had been the pastor there since 1961, and for whom the division
has long been a source of grief.

For Fr. Panteleimon, at the very least, trying to heal the damage that was done so many years
ago, should be an important step towards the "clearing of conscience".

Furthermore, as Bishop of Manhattan, I would like to offer an invitation to the HOCNA members
to "come back" -- it still is possible, and despite all the disputes, misinformation and bitterness,
ROCOR is still the same Church it always had been, and in which many of those now in HOCNA,
once enjoyed spiritual prosperity.

If desired, I would be welcome to meet with any of you who would wish it.

Yours with sincerest best wishes,

In Christ
+Bishop Jerome (in the world, John R. Shaw)

Re: ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

Dcn Joseph Suaiden
Administrator
Oh, this makes the news.

In Christ,
Deacon Joseph Suaiden
St Eulalia Orthodox Mission Chapel, Yonkers NY: A Mission of the Orthodox Metropolia in North America

"Let these canonical rules be established by us for you, O ye bishops; and if you continue to observe them, ye shall be saved, and shall have peace; but if you be disobedient, you shall be punished, and have everlasting war one with another, and undergo a penalty suitable to your disobedience." -- Epilogue to the Apostolic Constitutions

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Paradosis [via NFTU Forums: Orthodox Tradition, Discussion] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To start a new topic under NFTU Forums: Orthodox Tradition, Discussion, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NFTU Forums: Orthodox Tradition, Discussion, click here.
NAML

Re: ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

Paradosis
In all fairness Father it is quite a crazy letter, read it again, almost humorous if it wasnt tragic.

Re: ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

Dcn Joseph Suaiden
Administrator
"Almost"? It's almost fantastic how ridiculous this letter is! It had to be put up. Oh yes. Not headline though. That's gone.

NAML

Re: ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

Paradosis
Does MP Bishop Jerome realize this or was it deliberate?

He is one of the most strange people in the history of Christianity.

Re: ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

Dcn Joseph Suaiden
Administrator
Gemistes Plethon he ain't.

I sincerely hope he wasn't serious, but I accept that possibility.

Re: ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

BratMikhail
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ROCOR-MP's letter to HTM monks; what are they playing at?

Paradosis
BratMikhail wrote
That's one of the main tasks of the sergianist "ROCOR-MP" to swallow up as many traditionalists as it can in order to engulf and neutralize them.
Possibly, but I think now a days people looking for "traditionalism" with fallen "World Orthodoxy" would be much more inclined towards the Jersusalem or Georgian Patriarchates than "ROCOR-MP"; while ROCOR once had deep respect among those within the fallen Churches attracted to historic Christianity this is no longer so for the "New look" bunch.